20 August, 2006

the br. thomas letters

Br. Thomas Joseph,

There is certainly a lot to respond to in regards to your last response. Naturally I had to pray about it. In the past few months I have discovered the joy of praying with another.
There is nothing like it. The intimacy surpasses my flimsy grapples in the flesh, and is a nice exchange for premarital sex. My closest friend and I try to pray together once a week. This isn’t so difficult, because we live across the field from each other.

I have always held an affinity for Catholicism and Judaism. Just last week I was wondering what it would be like to become Jewish, so then I would be Messianic.
While it is something to ponder and study, it seems kind of wacky to me. As far as
Converting to Catholicism, I am not sure I would fit into that either. God would have to do the work to get me there! While I love the passion and symbolism of mass, I have issues with the worship of saints, and the need for a Pope to intervene. I am not sure how I stand on life issues as well. While I personally do not agree with prescription birth control or abortion, I am not excited with the way the Church deals with these issues.
I need to see and feel a personal God, and question the Church in it’s connection to the
common people.

This leads me to contradict myself with glee over what you shared about Dorothy Day
and Thomas Merton. They sound like “illuminating” histories indeed, and I am especially curious about Day’s work. I have known of her from an activist perspective (perhaps my true career,) but lack the spiritual side of the story. From what you tell me, Day proves
to me the attraction I have had towards the Church.

I have been invited to Seder dinner, Jesus’ last meal? Tomorrow I will find a local
version of Gethsemane. I do not mean to be crude with this. I trust you understand.
I pray for you this week.
God bless,
Natasha

No comments: