22 November, 2006

May I serve you please?

Meredith leaned back in her office chair with a little smirk on her mouth.
"Let me tell you something about people that volunteer to serve at the Mission on Thanksgiving. It is something that you do when you are going to be all alone, and want to feel good."

I guess she had found me out. My Benz had been broken down for two months by now, and I didn't feel like asking someone in the Verde Valley to come and pick me up, so I could eat some turkey with my mother at someone elses house like an old spinster.

So i called the Sunshine Mission in hopes of volunteering on Thanksgiving.
It was a fool proof plan. Except for the fact that the Mission didn't need my help. The lady who answered the phone was as dry as a piece of leg meat.
" Nope, we don't need anymore help here. Maybe you can volunteer at Christmas if you would like."
I was deflated. How could they not need my help? I needed them.

The Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea are made of the same water. It flows down, clear and cool, from the heights of Hermon and the roots of the cedars of Lebanon. The Sea of Galilee makes beauty of it, for the Sea of Galilee has an outlet. It gets to give. It gathers in its riches that it may pour them out again to fertilize the Jordan plain. But the Dead Sea with the same water makes horror. For the Dead Sea has no outlet. It gets to keep.

HARRY EMERSON FOSDICK THE MEANING OF SERVICE-1920

thank you fx

1920

No comments: