08 January, 2010

Elements


Wow, okay I am back. I realize I don't have spell check on here anymore...So I might be slow with processing.
I think I have finally hit a break through with the organizational problems I have been having in regards to finding a way to tell the story before the story.
I  am going to organize everything into the four elements: Fire,Earth,Water and Air. This sounds quite pagan at first glance, but I can clearly see elements of all beliefs to man in this form of outlining.
Like if I am discussing attributes of Air in regards to "Farm Life" this can include currents, money, barter and other intellectual pursuits. Air clearly an intellectual element. No?
My question is, which element does spirituality fit into? My first impulse is to volunteer fire because of personal reasons wrapped around the winter months I am experiencing. Another might be in total disagreement, feeling that water is the true essence of spirituality.
It's interesting to see how my thoughts and perceptions have been shaped by the environment I live. I find my self slowing down to notice sounds and sights I might not have noticed. I am also comforted by the landscape, and find less need to manipulate the situation. On the other hand I am less inclined to desire parties or more than 5 people in a room at once.
A few years ago I would have never found the interest in organizing thoughts in elemental columns. I've changed. It seems earnest, and practical. Not wicked nor flawed.

Artwork by: Alice DuBois

Earth:
History of where you are
Topograpghy
Names of trees
types of wood-soft hard
soil conditions
soil additives
Farming vs wild crafting, foraging-medicine
gardening methods for space
green houses
seed gathering
starting plants in green house?
French Rotation method
tracking
hunting
compost
outhouse
black soil

Water:
Dowsing
natural sources
creek water
bathing with little water
cooking with limited water
saving water
purification
carry water
iodine
catchment
emotions

Fire:

Starting a fire with friction
Other ways
Stoves
Outdoor fires
How to build a fire
Types of wood and when to use them
Cooking on a stove
soapstone
soals
tandori?
woodfire oven
purification
cleaning
spirit
brush burning
smoke
rotten wood
smoking meat

Air:
Intellect
barter
information
relation
movement
pollenation
turbine

No comments: