17 January, 2009



The death of Glen Wright and Joe Legge within a tumultuous two week period has launched thoughts like an Apache arrow into my heart.

I realize what I want out of life, more than I did a few weeks ago. Realizing that I am pretty well rounded soul, minus the family of my own. I lack the linear, perhaps masculine drive to focus on one thing and one thing only. Leave that to the men folk and the self oriented artist who sees only one trajectory.
Which leads me to another thread, perhaps, on the unraveling mystery in the sweater of life. By the time we have unraveled our sweaters we have lost temporal need for them in the first place. No need for thing.

Anyway, I am thinking about Edward Abbey today. As a teenager I idolized him,reading his words among the cottonwoods and porches of Jerome, AZ. I related to his dualistic life of a desert drifter and Appalachian poet. He was alive on fire, opinionated, and most importantly he didn't want to die while he was still alive.

Reminds me of Glen, and perhaps even Joe a bit.

I think I am still looking for .Edward Abbey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a great picture of Ed. Back in Home, PA. I haven't seen that one before.

Not wanting to die is one thing. Being willing to live, is another...

"The great question of life is not the question of death, but the question of life. Fear of death shames us all."

"I find more and more, as I grow older, that I prefer women to men, children to adults, animals to humans and rocks to living things."

"The fear of death follows the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

"The best people. like the best wines, come from the hills."

"Home is where, when you have to go there, you probably shouldn't"


Ed Abbey

Anonymous said...

"The best people. like the best wines, come from the hills."